If you’re trying to lose a few points for swimsuit season, you might be tempted to cut calories as much as humanly possible. However, this isn’t the right approach.
According to Joey Thurman, celebrity fitness trainer, model, and nutrition expert, you don’t need to give up snacking to get a better body as long as you choose the right types of snacks. “Yes, snacking can be a great way to rev up your metabolism and keep you energized and satisfied,” Thurman said. “But, if you are not snacking on the right things, then your mid-day noshes could be destroying your diet.”
By choosing the right snacks, Thurman means avoiding processed foods like candy and chips in favor of snacks that provide the nutrients your body needs to stay healthy. His top 5 picks include:
- Hard Boiled Eggs: Eggs are a quick, affordable, and tasty source of protein. Make it easy on yourself by boiling several at the beginning of the week and keeping them refrigerated until you need them.
- Homemade Granola Bars: Save money and create a healthier snack by making DIY granola bars with your favorite fruits and nuts. Swap out the sugar or agave nectar. Wrap them individually for convenient grab-and-go snacks.
- Roasted Chickpeas: When you’re craving something salty, roasted chickpeas are a crunchy and satisfying treat. Add variety by experimenting with chili powder, cumin, and other seasonings.
- Protein Shakes: During the summer months, it’s easy to find yourself craving ice cream. Enjoy a cold, frothy protein shake instead.
- Dried Apples and Almond Butter: Thurman says his personal favorite snack is a sliced dried apple and topped with almond butter, coconut shavings, and cinnamon on top.